Ask the following before leaving your pet anywhere for grooming, daycare, training or overnight lodging:
- LOOK at the actual employees you see in the facility. Are you comfortable with them caring for your pets? Are they clean cut, professional and friendly?
- Is there a dog daycare program? Is it fully staffed, 1 employee for every 10-15 dogs? Are the employees trained in pet handling and obedience, in order to manage a “pack” of dogs? Do they leave pets outside in 100+ degree weather? What interaction does the staff have with the pets?
- Does the facility document pet “elimination”, eating and temperament during the pets stay? (Sometimes that’s the only way to detect and address depression, gastrointestinal problems, dehydration, worms, etc.)
- Who cares for your pet(s)? (Teenagers or Adults? What are the staff’s credentials? How long are they trained before allowed to care for pets?)
- Is the staff Pet CPR certified? Do they know what to do in case of emergency?
- What is the facility policy on keeping indoor and outdoor areas free of parasites, fleas, ticks, mosquitoes etc.? Are pets checked for fleas/ticks at check in?
- Is there a fire/security system and how far away is the fire/police department?
- Does your dog sit in a kennel all day or does it get several walks? Or exercise if not participating in daycare?
- Does facility management perform criminal background checks and randomly test employees for drugs? Do you want drug addicts or criminals caring for your pets?
- How is your pet cared for? Daily, 7 days? 2-3 times daily? (Some places close on Sundays or care for pets once per day on weekends & holidays.)
- How does facility manage airborne viruses and bacteria? (What is their method of prevention against Kennel Cough a highly contagious virus?)
- TOUR the facility. Does it smell, is it dirty, what’s the general atmosphere, bright, cheerful?
- What is the pet care worker to dog ratio? (This is how you can tell if the pets are really getting attention or is the facility understaffed? 15-20 pets to 1 worker is a general guideline.)
- Is there a webcam for you to view your pets? What about TV or Music? (no webcam, may be a reason for that…..)>Pets with thunderstorm anxiety? What do they do? (Can pets SEE and/or HEAR the storm?)
- Do groomers groom pets one at a time from start to finish or is it a high volume grooming facility where pets are just objects of revenue? Grooming can be traumatic for most dogs. Do pets sit in kennel s all day or is there an option for placement in a larger suite until picked up or daycare to socialize with other dogs?
- What are the Groomers credentials? Can you meet the groomer?
- What are the Obedience Trainers credentials? Can you meet the trainer?
- What is the facility policy on handling pets with Separation Anxiety? What do they do? (Extra love, special attention? Do they charge for it?)
Please feel free to call any Pappy's location if you would like us to answer these questions about our facility. We are confident that you will feel comfortable and at ease when leaving your pets in our care.